18 DEGREES OF TROUBLE: PM could take legal action against TV programme

Prime Minister Andrew Holness has retained legal counsel and could take action over “inferences and innuendos” about his property tax payments made in the TVJ programme 18 Degrees North aired Monday night.
"I totally and completely reject the assertions, inferences and innuendos made in the television programme 18 Degrees North, aired on TVJ on Monday, 30th May 2016,” the Holness said in a release Tuesday.
“In particular, I wish to make it clear that all my property taxes are paid up to date and I have never entered into any arrangement with the intent of evading any of Jamaica's tax laws or benefiting from public contracts,” he added. 
“I view this matter seriously and have retained legal counsel. Senior counsel has already advised that there are factual bases on which the programme's content is libellous," the prime minister said.
He added: "My family and I have been the subject of several attacks on our character and reputation in the past. As a public figure, I expect to be a target. However, it appears that there is a coordinated and persistent attempt to tarnish me and my family.
“Now that the matter is in my attorney's hands, any future query or clarification should be addressed to senior counsel Gordon Robinson."

No comments